Woke up this morning so hungry, but didn’t have much in the fridge. I did notice that there was half an onion, some spam, and a couple green onions. That’s enough, I thought, for frittata time. This is actually the first time I’ve ever made frittata, but I get the general concept and I do love eating it, so….
What I did:
- Beat together 6 eggs with some milk, salt and pepper. Chopped up 1/4 onion, some Spam and cherry tomatoes from the garden. Sliced up the green onion (just the green part).
- In my cast iron skillet over about a medium heat, I cooked up the Spam with a touch of olive oil so it would get a bit of a crisp started. Then added some butter (about a pat) with some more olive oil (couple times around to coat). Added the onion and threw in the tomatoes last. Toss with a bit more salt. All this only take s a couple minutes. Then pour in the eggs, making sure everything gets covered.
- Knocked the heat back to about low-med. A few more minutes and you’ll start to see the edges cooking. I take a silicon spatula around the edge to make sure it’s not sticking.
- Once the edges are cooked a bit, I topped it with pieces of cheese (I only had American) and sprinkled with the green onion and some Parmesan.
- Put the whole skillet into a 350 degree oven and cooked an additional ~10-15min.
Not the fanciest frittata ever, but a good solution to work with what you’ve got and it certainly made my belly happy. Mmm… like eggy breakfast pizza!